A C2 referee should be able to manage the safety aspects of the game. He should be able to apply the whistle/signal sequence of communication. He should be positioned correctly at scrums, lineouts and situations that occur near the goal line. He should be able to prevent pileups after tackles, but he will have problems in dealing with the initial players arriving at a post-tackle situation. He should conduct himself with good demeanor both on and off the playing enclosure.
- Observed arriving players leaving their feet.
- Did not permit pileups to continue after ball was buried.
- Observed trampling of players.
- Awarded scrum put-in to the correct side when ball became unplayable.
- Recognized distinctions of advantage for penalty kick infringements versus scrum infringements.
- Did not return play to the original infringement after territorial advantage had been gained.
- Communicated advantage with voice and signal.
- Correctly managed static mauls (including mauls moving laterally).
- Observed flagrant illegal collapsing of the ruck or maul.
- Observed other unsafe play.
- Awarded scrum put-in to the correct side when the ball became unplayable.
RESTART KICKS & OPEN PLAY
- Observed restart kicks (i.e. penalty kicks, free kicks, kickoffs, dropouts) that were taken incorrectly (method and place).
- Observed non-kicking team players who failed to retire 10 meters or who were not put onside by actions of other players at restart kicks.
- Observed offside kicking-team players at restart kicks.
- Observed forward passes and knock-ons.
- Awarded scrum at the correct position.
- Observed and ensured fair competition for the ball.
- Enforced proper engagement procedures.
- Observed and ensured that after engagement, the scrum was stationary and square to touch until the ball was put in.
- Did not allow repeated collapsing or lifting of scrums.
- Used and acted upon “Use it or lose it” at static scrums.
- Observed and ensured scrumhalf remained onside and stayed out of the pocket.
- Observed back row unbinding early.
- Observed offside by non-participants.
- Awarded the lineouts at the correct place.
- Established and maintained a one-meter gap until the ball was thrown in.
- Established correct positioning of the thrower, the thrower’s opposite and the receivers (if any) prior to the throw.
- Observed unfair competition for the ball.
- Observed jumpers jumping early or remaining supported in the air prior to the throw-in.
- Observed destructive offenses across the lineout and made this a priority.
- Observed offside infringements by participants.
- Observed illegal support of jumpers.
- Observed offside by non-participants when ball was held in the lineout.
- Observed improper quick throw-ins.
- Observed dangerous tackles (e.g. high or no-wrap).
- Observed late tackles on kicker.
- Observed early/late tackles on receiver.
- Controlled unsafe behavior and foul play promptly and effectively.
- Candidly admitted mistakes, but did not try to compensate for them.
- Behaved professionally both on and off the playing enclosure.
- Whistle tone was distinctive according to decision.
- Primary signal (penalty kick, free kick, or scrum) was clear and given simultaneously with whistle.